Thursday, August 23, 2012

Reached the southern coast of Portugal

Spent four nights anchored in various bays and harbors along the coast and now we're heading east along the Algarve, the southern coast of Portugal.  Found some good stops where the kids learned more about the Age of Discoveries including Sines, the town where Vasco de Gama was born, and Sangres, with Henry the Navigator's fort.  Sailing weather has been a mixed bag - some motoring, a long day of pea soup fog (thank goodness for AIS and radar), then 25 knot winds and ocean swells all night at anchor.  We've now joined half of Europe on summer vacation on the beaches of the Algarve, but with our dinghy we found some great little secluded beaches among the cliffs.  Another couple stops and then we'll go through the Straits of Gibralter.

Kids let off a little steam after a morning of castles
churches and museums in Sines







Sailing through the fog
Motoring with our dinghy to a beach in the cliffs
 
 

3 comments:

  1. The cliffs are beautiful! Where is the beach??
    Starting school on Monday, we miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Maggie! I got your postcard today! I hope you're having fun on your trip. I like your website. It's cool to see all the places that you're going. I hope to see you next year! your friend, Ella

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! Parker just got Hugo's postcard, and we are all checking out your super cool blog. Just so you know, I'm sitting at my desk here in the lovely Mark Center looking at your fantastic pictures and I don't think I could be more jealous of your adventure!! You all look so incredibly happy. I will get Parker online tonight and I'm sure he will make regular comments. Can't wait to hear and see more about your trip - you are still the coolest friends we have!! :) ATB, Aimee

    ReplyDelete